Apply for an Award
The journalistic content—text, audio, broadcast, video or graphics—must be published or aired to the public.
- Open to United States news media in the form of print, broadcast, radio or digital. Freelance journalists are eligible.
- Published or broadcast between Jan. 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2020. A series is eligible, but all content must be completed within the eligibility date range.
- Collaborations are eligible for entry and count as one submission.
- Journalists, a team of journalists, organizations or collaborations can submit up to two entries.
How to Submit
- Applicants for the Dan Rather Medals submit their work directly online via the submission portal, beginning Jan. 1, 2021, through Feb. 15, 2021, by 5 p.m. Central.
- Team entries must indicate a project team lead for contact.
What to Submit
- A single news story or up to three dated pieces in a series.
- If the entry is a series, applicants may upload up to three installments/episodes for review by the judges, in chronological order.
- A detailed statement (between 600 and 800 words) describing how the content meets the selection criteria of overcoming extraordinary conditions in reporting.
- Your statement and media materials are all submitted online through the Dan Rather Medals submission system. Media files must be uploaded directly to the submission portal for consideration.